Usage and Benefits of Acupressure Mats
What is an acupressure mat?
Acupressure is a traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) technique that is practiced by health professionals around the world. Doctors consider TCM a form of alternative or complementary medicine. Acupressure therapy is very similar to acupuncture but unlike acupuncture needles, acupressure mats do not contain needles or puncture the skin.
An acupressure mat, is a self-applied acupressure device commonly made of a foam mattress covered in cotton sacking and embedded with hard plastic disks containing protruding spikes. These small bulges deliver pressure to parts of the body in contact with the surface. Acupressure mats, also known as Needle Stimulation Pad (NSP) is a preferred to acupuncture by people who have fear of needles.
Due to its non-evasiveness, safety, convenience and effectiveness, many people opt for acupuncture mats in order to enjoy the treatment in their own home!
How do acupressure mats work?
Acupressure is an alternative medicine technique that has been practiced in Asia for thousands of years. Since the principle of acupressure is a lot like acupuncture, it is very popular in China as an extension of the traditional acupuncture technique. Acupressure uses pressure instead of needles to achieve results. As a result, over time, acupressure practitioners have discovered the enormous scope and of this treatment method and used it to address various health problems.
In acupressure, firm pressure is applied using fingers or a mat instead of the needles used in acupuncture. Both acupressure and acupuncture work by stimulating different energy pathways in the body. However, the difference is that acupressure is non-invasive. Designed to function in a similar way to acupressure treatments, the plastic spikes apply pressure to several different pressure points on the back. And according to Chinese medicine, when you access these certain pressure points you can clear blockages in the body and release Qi (aka energy) to relieve any aches and pains. This awakens the body’s innate way of self-healing. In scientific terms, the mild pain from the spikes of the acupressure mat triggers the release of endorphins. Endorphins aids the body to relax and energize. As a result, it acts a powerful tool for easing tension, relieving pain.
Due to proven results and testimonies of many users stating significant improvement in their condition after continuous use, many practitioners swear by acupressure mats as safe, easy to use and convenient methods to reduce muscle pain, tension and improve relaxation.
Benefits and usage of acupressure mats.
One of the key benefits of an acupressure mat is that it’s a natural form of pain relief.
With 191 million opioid prescriptions dispensed in 2017, and the US government declaring it a public health emergency, anything that can help manage pain in a natural way is sure to be desirable.
Likewise, a major systematic review in 2014 looked at all the research surrounding acupressure and pain. Findings were overwhelmingly positive and showed that acupressure was effective for a variety of different types of pain.
The study concluded that health professionals should consider the use of acupressure as a complementary therapy for managing the pain associated with many conditions.
Another study conducted in 2015 found that depression, anxiety, and stress can all be positively impacted by acupressure. The participants who used an acupressure mat three times a week for four weeks showed positive results with a lower rating on the Depression, Anxiety Stress Scales (DASS) compared to the control group.
The biggest benefit of acupressure mats is that anyone can use them. Unlike traditional acupressure therapy, there is no training or specialized knowledge needed to get beneficial results. Since many acupressure mats are affordably priced, they’re a cheaper option that allows people to get daily treatment without paying a professional for frequent appointments. These mats can be used on their own or as a supplement to acupressure or acupuncture appointments.
Following are some of the general benefits of Acupressure mats:
- Relieves stress & anxiety
- Increase blood circulation
- Improves oxygen level
- Reduces muscle tension
- Stimulates endorphin production to elevate mood and help with depression
- Encourages restful sleep and reduces insomnia
- Energized the body
People who use acupressure mats find they have a ton of awesome health benefits. Because the mat causes your muscles to relax, it helps your whole body relax. As a result of releasing that tension, it can help reduce sore muscles and also relieve muscle tension. Many people find relief in back and neck pain from using acupressure mats, but they can also help with soreness in other body parts.
The uses of Acupressure mats are very varied. Here, listed below are some of the common uses of acupressure mats:
- Relieving back pain: The most common use for acupressure mats is to relieve back pain. Users believe that the increased blood flow helps heal muscles and lets them relax to release pain and tension
- Relieving neck pain: Many people who suffer from chronic neck pain will use an acupressure pillow to specifically target their neck. There are different shapes and designs available so you can find one that will work best for your needs.
- Reducing Anxiety and Stress: Because lying on an acupressure mat relaxes your body, it can also help relax your mind as well. Many people find it helps reduce their anxiety and also relieves stress.
- Feeling more energized: If you limit the amount of time you use your acupressure mat, it can actually leave you feeling energized. This is a great way to use your mat in the morning to get ready for the day or in the afternoon when you hit a midday energy slump.
- Reducing the appearance of cellulite: Many people claim that regular use of an acupressure mat on certain parts of the body helps to reduce the appearance or even eliminate cellulite. The idea is that the increased blood flow to the area helps reduce cellulite.
- Helping with Insomnia: Because using an acupressure mat helps relax your body, many people say it’s great for helping to induce sleep and cure insomnia. General use of an acupressure mat during the afternoon or evening may be enough to improve your sleep. If you’re specifically using acupressure to help with insomnia or other sleep issues, it is recommended to use it immediately before you go to bed for relaxation and induce sleep.
- For feet and reflexology: If you work on your feet all day or suffer foot pain from uncomfortable shoes, acupressure mats can help relieve that pain. They’re also useful for reflexology on the bottom of your feet to relieve other health issues.
- Improve Digestion: By increasing blood flow, acupressure has shown to improve the quality of life for those suffering from digestion problems.
Why acupressure mats are growing in popularity and why you should get one?
Owing to its versatile uses and benefits with little to no side effects, acupressure mats are becoming a favorite pain relief therapy medium that can be used at home!
Following are some of the many reasons why acupressure mats are so convenient and effective:
- Manage your own treatment: The ability to manage your own treatment in the comfort of your own home is one of the biggest selling point of acupressure mats. No need to create appointments and make a separate time in your schedule to fit in your sessions!
- Portable: Acupressure mats provided by Love Your Senses come with a free handy carry bag. Thus, you can carry it with you wherever you go and use it as much or as little as needed to help you get a handle on your daily pain, which is very convenient.
- Little or no side effects: Use of an acupressure mat is found to have little or no side effects. This is why people can use it at home as per their own convenience.
- Low Cost: Compared to other therapy options for pain, acupressure mats are a relatively affordable choice.
- Non-Invasive: When seeking for treatment of various conditions, a number of invasive options are presented to patients. However, acupressure can be tried as a non-invasive method without the element of risk.
- Compact: Acupressure mats roll up like yoga mats, so they’re compact, take up very less space and with the free bag you get from Love Your Senses, it is ideal for carrying it or storing it away when you don’t need it.
- Can be used at home: Acupressure is carried out by physical therapists in many clinics. However, the benefit of an acupressure mat is that you can use it in your own home. It’s ideal if you have pain that strikes without warning, as you have a pain relief option that you can roll out whenever you need it.
- Purchased over the counter: You don’t need a prescription to purchase an acupressure mat, get yours TODAY from clicking the BUY NOW button below!